Holidays in Term Time
As from September 2013, the school is unable to authorise any absence from school for holidays.
The guidance for head teachers is very clear and absences should not be authorised unless there are exceptional circumstances to do so. The guidelines around exceptional circumstances give the following as examples:
- If a parent is service personnel and is returning from a tour of duty abroad where it is evidenced the individual will not be in receipt of any leave in the near future that coincides with school holidays.
- Where an absence from school is recommended by a health professional as part of a parent or child’s rehabilitation from a medical or emotional issue.
- The death or terminal illness of a close relative, only if Headteacher is satisfied that the circumstances are truly exceptional;
- Out of school programmes such as music, arts or sport operating at a high standard of achievement. Documentary evidence of this event will be required.
- Religious observance – The Education Act 1996 S444(3) (c), states ‘’on any day exclusively set apart for religious observance by the religious body to which his/her parent belongs’’;
- To attend a wedding or funeral of a close relative if the Headteacher is satisfied that the circumstances are truly exceptional.
Please see the attached policy for full details.